The following post contains vital plot points from the season premieres of Battlestar Galactica and Lost. If you haven’t seen them and don’t want to be spoiled – move along…
So let’s talk about all the mind-frakking, time-bending chaos of this week’s stellar episodes! So very much to think about; I’m going to break each premiere down into 5 key discussion points.
1. Earth. Earth kind of sucks. Earth is radioactive. But the real issue here is that Earth was populated entirely by Cylons in human form! The much talked about 13th tribe turned out to not be humans after all. But of course there are questions raised – who nuked the planet? And how do our 4 most recent Cylons have memories of living there, yet up until now believed they were always human?
2. D’Anna. She stayed behind, so that’s the last of the #3 model (that we know of). Executive Producer Ron Moore has confirmed that Lucy Lawless would only appear in this episode. It makes me a little sad, but I’m guessing it falls under “tying up a loose end.”
3. Dualla. Oh no, no, no! This was just heartbreaking. Who doesn’t love Dee? And now she is gone. I admit right up until the last moment, I thought her mind was somewhere else – perhaps that she was the final Cylon? I know a lot of internet boards have buzzed about that for awhile. Regardless, she will be so very missed.
4. Mental breakdowns. Roslin has lost it – Pythia let her down! Adama has lost it – but Tigh won’t shoot him! And I suspect that Dualla’s death is one more thing that’s sending Gaeta over the edge until he…what? The man has a plan, but it’s unclear what that is yet. Could he have a way to find a habitable planet where Roslin and Starbuck have failed? And will he ever frak Hoshi on camera?
5. The final Cylon. I admit, I hadn’t even considered that Ellen could be the fifth. Her character has always been rather tangential, which begs the question – what does it mean? I assume there are connections deeper than Ellen’s marriage to Tigh which will link her into the greater mythology of the show, so we have much more to learn. Also I’m holding a thought in the back of my mind that perhaps this is just a confused vision on Tigh’s part, and that the final Cylon is still out there. Unlikely, I know – but I’ve learned not to take anything on this show at face value!
1. Time skipping. It’s an odd theory of Faraday’s and a bit hard to understand, but the effects are clear – time travel more disorienting than an episode of Quantum Leap! Is it any wonder that a certain red-headed Brit is starting to get a bloody nose? Get that woman a constant, stat!
2. Ana Lucia. I know we kind of hated her on the show for a long time, but wasn’t it nice to see her again? That was probably my favorite scene of the night. “Libby says hi.” HA!
3. Three years earlier. I know this is a little thing, but isn’t it odd to see an actual time stamp before a flashback? I feel like it’s telling us something beyond the obvious, but…I don’t know what that is. It’s one of those situations where I’m sure it’s an easter egg, but it probably isn’t.
4. Characters evolving. I love that Sun is now a total bad-ass. She just rocks. Sawyer, meanwhile, has gone a little soft (and I finally find him attractive). Aaron is suddenly very big, conveniently. Also I thought it was interesting to see Bernard and Rose featured so prominently for a bit until I realized – there’s like no one left! Take away the Oceanic 6, Walt, Ben and Desmond who are off the island. Locke is off hunting, and Claire is communing with her dead father. The list of dead Losties is long (Michael and Jin being the latest). That leaves just Bernard, Rose, Sawyer and Vincent (with Julia and the freighter folk along for the ride). Looks like it’s time for new characters! Although we finally saw the return of Miss Hawking, so maybe more oldies but goodies are on their way.
5. Neil. I totally called it. Out of the blue we have this annoying Lostie who was previously unnamed, but is suddenly at the forefront yelling at Bernard. And then I see – he’s wearing a red shirt! I was all, “Scott, that guy is a total redshirt, he’s dead at the first opportunity.” THWAP! Flaming arrow through the chest. Sometimes I *heart* the writers so much!
So now it’s your turn to talk about these shows – what did you think? And where do you think things are going next?