Even if you weren’t into American Idol this season (I wasn’t), I hope you tuned in to see what could very well be the best new show on television. It’s called Glee, about a group of social misfits in a high school glee club, led by their earnest teacher.
Does that description not sound convincing enough? Well here are 5 reasons why you need to see it (catch it on iTunes all summer):
1. Musical numbers! And don’t tell me you aren’t into musicals. We’re taking pop and rock songs here. Did School of Rock teach you nothing?
2. An attractive lead! Matthew Morrison as the teacher has a vulnerable but strong look. And he sings, too.
3. Quirky humor and characters! If you loved shows like Pushing Daisies and Arrested Development, then this is right up your alley. Choice line – “You think this is hard? I’m living with hepatitis – THAT’S hard!” And we’ll have everything from a chaste cheerleader to a fabulous gay boy.
4. Great actors! Most notable in the cast is the wonderful Jane Lynch, she of the Christopher Guest movies. But you may also recognize the face or voice of one Lea Michele, whom I had the distinct privilege of seeing star on Broadway in Spring Awakening.
5. Feel good moments! If you aren’t smiling at the end when the kids start rocking out to Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin’,” then you must have slept through the 80’s. And that makes you dead to me.
So check it out! Unfortunately this was just a small taste – we have to wait all the way until fall for regular episodes. But believe me – as soon as TiVo lets me add a season pass, I’ll be spreading the word!
Update! Here’s a link to a video of that fabulous closing number in high quality complete with lyrics. Enjoy!